Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Finding a Vizsla Breeder

Finding a breeder can feel like a daunting task. The first time I contacted Vizsla breeders, about 12 years ago, we were planning a move across the country to San Francisco, California. I think I contacted a handful of West Coast breeders, most with wait times in the 4-8 month range. It was definitely a harder process in our second search (now back on the East coast), for a number of reasons. First and foremost, everyone and their mother seems to want a puppy right now while we're all spending more time at home due to COVID, so wait times and lists are long and breeders are overwhelmed with contacts. Second, having recently lost Captain, I was more worried and approached things more cautiously.

I am no expert on Vizsla breeders. But given the high demand and interest, and our recent re-introduction to the process, I wanted to share a few quick points on finding a breeder:

  • First, and maybe most importantly, try to get connected with those who are really in the know. If you are in the US, contacting your local regional Vizsla club for reputable breeder recommendations is a good way to do this. International friends, if you have other recommendations for groups that make referrals, please feel free to post in the comments!
  • Check for recommendations and referrals. 
  • Do your research. If the breeder has a website or social media page, check what content they put on it. If they don't, do extra reference checking.
  • Make sure the breeder commits to health screenings and can provide information on the sire and the dam. 
  • Have a conversation with the breeder. Have multiple! They should be willing to take questions, and should also be asking you questions. 
This is not an exhaustive list of "do's" (nor is below an exhaustive list of "don'ts") - you will find more by googling 'finding a reputable breeder' or a similar search and asking the experts. Please do these searches! Plan to read a lot before you contact people. In addition to some basic points above, here's a short list of some red flags to note:
  • The breeder doesn't ask you questions. (Most should also want you to complete a questionnaire, too)
  • Always has puppies available (Red flag for a puppy mill- please do not support these!) 
  • Has something on a webpage like "Vizslas are for everyone!" (I think we can all agree they are beautiful dogs, but their personalities and energy levels ARE NOT suited for everyone).
  • Puppies go home <8 weeks old (Too young! They need that mama bonding time!)
  • Breeder not willing to show you where puppies are kept 

Starting with Vizsla regional clubs was not something I did in my first search, but I found it really helpful this second time around. Since we are in PA now, I actually contacted several regional clubs, and found the individual in our area to be a wonderful resource and offer up a lot of referrals. Especially if you are trying to find a puppy during 2020-2021, you may have to contact a lot of people, and you will also need to be vigilant and check in fairly regularly. 

There's a lot of due diligence to ensuring you've found a responsible breeder. Ideally you can visit, but this isn't always possible (especially during COVID). In addition to ensuring you find a responsible breeder, I also think it's important to find a breeder that aligns with or at least understands your reasons for wanting a dog. Finding a breeder is also a matching process. For us, we were seeking a companion for our adventures. (Note: this doesn't mean breed standards aren't important, though, as these relate to health). This was true back when we got Captain, and it's still true today. But of course, these days, we have those "other nuggets" (aka, the human children) along for the ride, too. For some breeders, I found this was an instant no-go. And I get it. Kids distract from the sole focus on the puppy and make things harder. Nugget 4 will not have the same life as Nugget 1, and I already feel guilty about that. (Though I personally don't think it's impossible to take care of a puppy when you have young kids in the house too. Hard, crazy-  yes. But impossible - no. I look at a puppy like another child, and some crazy people have multiple of those!) I also think having a pet helps those human nuggets to learn to be caring and responsible. You just have to be extra committed. And not care about sleeping ;)

A brief note on contracts: Here is a link to an AKC article that I thought contained some useful info: https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/dog-breeding/everything-you-need-to-know-about-breeder-contracts/  The short of it is that contracts should indicate that both parents have been health tested, puppies are healthy, and the contract should include some sort of return clause, particularly for health concerns early on. Connect with your referrals to get more expert advice on contracts.  

Read on for more, including our most recent ventures to finding Nugget 4... (and if you're new here, a little background: Nugget 1= Captain - the best dog ever. Period. No arguments. My first Vizsla and frequently referred to as really, really, ridiculously good looking. Also incredibly sweet. Nuggets 2 and 3 are humans, they interrupted our sole focus on Nugget 1, and may make occasional appearances here, but don't worry, this isn't a parenting blog. Hahaha. Definitely not. Subsequent Nuggets to be named in order. There will be no more human nuggets - we play man-to-man defense in our house against those suckers - so 4 through 101 are to be Vizslas, obviously ;) ) 

~~~

A few hours after Captain passed away, I was in our basement, and suddenly decided to put together the IKEA daybed that was only sort of half assembled from when we'd moved here (four years ago). My husband came down, raised an eyebrow, and said "What are you doing?" 

I grumbled I was going to put the (insert explicative) bed frame together. In my head, constant movement and some sort of focused task seemed like it would be helpful at the time... 

Ten minutes later, I quit, because putting together IKEA furniture sucks, and I couldn't fool my mind into focus. I just wanted to cry. 

My venturing into finding a new breeder felt a little like that at first, too. It was something I started doing before I was really ready for it, and I couldn't really explain why I was doing it except to try and fill a void. Don't get me wrong -I knew we'd want another Vizsla, but I was definitely still grieving and so felt conflicted about the process. Captain was my first dog, and I'd always felt strange about people just seemingly moving on and getting another dog right after theirs died. I didn't want this to seem like I was replacing him. He will forever hold such a special place in my heart and my life. But at the same time, the days and months that pass without Captain in the house each take us a little further away from our time with him and our memories of him, and I strongly feel that another Vizsla will help keep him alive. We also do so much outside that it just feels strange to not have a dog by our side. My husband and I have joked to one another over the past several months when one of us says we want to go out for a walk: "What? You're going out for a walk all alone? Without a dog? That's just going to look silly." At some point I realized: The next dog isn't a replacement of your first, but a reminder of all the reasons why you loved him.  

Our road to Nugget 4 has not been a straight one. I sent so many emails to breeders. I have a spreadsheet including nearly 30 contacts, and reached out to several others before I even started that list. As I said, I started making the contacts before I was really ready, and some responses I took too personally. Some felt harsh. But others were wonderful to talk to and it was comforting to just get connected to someone who got it. Someone who really understood the loss of a Vizsla and was happy to "talk dog" with me. There were highs where I thought I had a lead, and then lows when something fell through. It felt like a roller coaster and there were times when I felt like we'd never get another Vizsla. 

I found several breeders I liked. For many, the timing was off, or their lists were already pushing a year out. I stayed in touch with them anyway and requested to be kept on their list for later. Some were helpful in referring me to others having litters. This is how we were first connected with a breeder in PA. He was planning a litter for the Fall! He had room on his list! The mother (sorry, I'll never be comfortable calling them bitches...) was beautiful and had a great temperament! So was the planned father! I was very excited.


                                                                                                            Photo courtesy D. Wolfang

We followed the pregnancy from before it even started. I saw pictures of her last litter. They were perfect pups! 

                                                                                            Photo courtesy D. Wolfang

Then, in October, she gave birth...to only three puppies. Only one of which was a male. We weren't high enough on the list. I was beyond disappointed. It had all just felt so right up until then. 

Feeling very defeated, I began reaching back out to some of the breeders I'd connected with earlier. Ultimately, in a sort of fortuitous texting one day, one of them helped connect us to a litter one of her champions had sired. It was a larger litter than anticipated (10!! same size as Captain's litter, incidentally), with 6 males. I reached out immediately. We had a good conversation. I got asked lots of questions :) The first picture I got of the mom did make me gasp a little, as her face reminded me of Captain.  


                                                                          Photo Courtesy D. Patterson: Solaris Happy Go Lucky

Dad was also quite handsome:

Photo Courtesy I. Fisher: Cameo's Red Moon Rising

But I still had worries- I think 2020 sort of primed me for the mindset that things may fall through. Two nights before we're set to bring him home, I still have a slight worry something might go wrong! I get excited, and then I get worried again. This road, heck this year, has just been like that. But I think part of this is also a lingering worry about "replacing" Captain. And about comparing a new pup to him, when he holds such a very high standard in my mind. 

If 2020 has taught us anything, though, it's that we can't control everything (or anything, sometimes!) and that ideal of what we're looking for is really a lot about how we approach things. When we got Captain, I was entering a whole new world, with zero expectations, or really, much knowledge. The playing field is totally different now. I also know, though, I can't control every variable, and as much as I would like a guarantee from God that our new pup will never get cancer, I know we can't get that. We did our diligence with research and references. I also can say we likely had a shorter wait time than someone currently looking who has never had a V before, and I'm really grateful for those that helped us along the way. We can be happy we are lucky enough to welcome a new life into ours, and we can do our best to make it as special for him as possible. 

Finally: "No matter how much you research, or how many books you read, in the end buying a puppy is an act of faith. You are trusting that the breeder has done her level best to produce a healthy, well-adjusted puppy, and the breeder is trusting that you will take care of your new family member to the best of your ability, hopefully, long enough to see its muzzle gray. "

To my Nugget 4 to be: I hope we get to share adventures with you until you are as silver gray as they get! 

To my Nugget 1: We miss you and will keep your memory alive forever. Also- we'll make sure Nugget 4 keeps those pesky squirrels in line for you. ;) 

~~~

An additional note on finding a Vizsla puppy:

Written by Debra Evalds of New Hope Vizsla Rescue
I have had Vizslas since the 90's and they were rare then. Popularity grew over time, but 2020 is the year demand exploded. Here are the facts. I tried to be kind, but straightforward. 
Please read and consider:
If you have only done online research and haven't owned a high energy sporting dog, stop and wait. Delay until after COVID. Wait until you can network with good breeders. Vizslas are absolutely not what they are portrayed as in Runner's World or many breed info descriptions. They are a lot and expect a lot from you, way beyond exercise. They also shed, are not hypoallergenic, can be nervous & not love kids.
Not all Vizslas are the same. 
There are not enough dogs from reputable breeders to go around. There is too much demand and there are many people looking who have had Vizslas, are super owners, live in single family homes with nice fenced yards. They may even have dogs from the breeder. A breeder will select the home they feel is best for their puppy because they love them a lot. So, if you live in an apartment in the city, have no dog experience, don't want to spend money for a fence or can't have one, have a few children under 5 that will take your energy and attention away from the puppy, haven't met Vizslas in person, or work long hours, is a reputable breeder going to choose you over the experienced owner?
So, as a post earlier this week pointed out, this could drive people to backyard breeders, puppy mills, pet stores, and anyone willing to sell them a puppy. Please, don't do it. I do rescue. I have 3 dogs from bad breeders I am trying to help. All are under 5, but 2 have bite history and resource guarding, and the other likely has epilepsy. That is what you can end up when you work with a breeder that does not research pedigrees, do health testing, and breed for a lovely combination of health, temperament, conformation, and ability. Look for a breeder that strives for all 4. They may not always achieve that, but they should be there for you if you have a problem with your dog. You don't want to buy a puppy and find out in a few months it has a congenital defect that will cause a short life or cost you exorbitant amounts of money. You don't want to be that person sharing a Go Fund Me on Facebook because the breeder won't help you and you can't afford medical bills. You really do not want to be calling rescue in a few years because your Vizsla bit your child in the face. I don't want that call either. If people stop buying from shaky breeders, neither of us will be on that phone call because they won't breed if they can't sell their puppies. 
As much as you want a Vizsla, there may not be one out there for you unless you are a home that is a good match for the breed, and you have great patience, dedication to working with a good breeder, and are willing to wait. Find a breeder through your local Vizsla club who you can connect with and get on their list. Cultivate a friendship and keep in touch. Ask if you can visit puppies from next litter, even though they likely have puppies all spoken for. At this point, it could be a year or two for many good breeders, but it is worth the wait. (read the pinned announcement and the files in group to learn what a good breeder is in the Vizsla Puppies FB Group.) The alternative is to settle for someone who always has puppies or has puppies because smart buyers know they aren't cutting the mustard with health testing or have other red flags (see point 3 above). The last option is widening your search and considering other breeds. There are other wonderful breeds that may not be in so much demand. There also are dogs in need at rescues and shelters. There are many fabulous mixed-breed dogs or "All-American" dogs that need homes. Explore different options, in addition to looking for a Vizsla. 
Reiterating above points, but Vizslas are in demand. Reputable breeders are overwhelmed. They are getting many inquiries and are probably not going to be fast to respond if they don't have puppies planned or have a full wait list. Be patient, kind, and persistent if you really like that breeder's dogs. Many of us are spending many hours a day replying to emails from people looking for puppies. Also, take the time to tell about yourself (location, experience, family, home, why you want a Vizsla) instead of just writing "Do you have available puppies?". You are likely to get responses that are equal to the time you are putting in to your questions. 
Rescues don't have puppies, but they can help you avoid bad breeders. In rescue we get so many inquiries. In the rare chance we get a puppy, we are likely going to place locally with someone we know, as the puppy isn't at the age to be spayed or neutered yet. We do respond to people seeking puppies because we want them to find good breeders. I respond to them before applicants because I may be able to stop people from getting dogs from the breeders that keep me busy in rescue! Personally, I send at least 20 referral letters every week. I will also tell someone the truth if they ask me about a breeder, based on my knowledge and personal experiences with the breeder. We want to steer you toward breeders who take their dogs back if there is an issue.
Trust me on that one!
Last, this is for the reputable breeders in this group. Please share with your friends that are reputable breeders. We need to educate people looking for puppies. If they aren't a good match tell them, and tell them why. Create a referral letter and send it to help people or chat with them if that is your style. Let's just all give back a bit to help the breed, help each other, help these people who are looking, and help the poor mama Vizslas who are sitting in cages being kept only to be bred by greedy people that love money more than dogs. Help stop the supply and redirect from the bad breeders. The good ones all know who to tell people to steer clear of. Let's help people by speaking freely and sharing accurate and truthful info. If you got this far, thank you for taking the time to read.

1 comment:

  1. I'm in the same boat as you! My first V was 2002-2014 and then I got Mia in 2010 and she's getting old. Hubby just agreed that it's a good time for a puppy & I've been on the same journey/search process. Hoping we can find a reputable breeder & a good litter soon. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete