At my husband's suggestion, here's a list of 10 Vizsla Names for 2013: Popular names that seem to be trending, based on reader responses on Facebook, Vizsla's we've met, plus a dash of my own opinion - in other words, not based on any sort of statistics at all :-)
So here we go- in no particular order, great names for new Vizslas in 2013:
- Boagie - This was actually one of the names in the running when we were deciding what to call Captain. It sounds distinguished and fun at the same time, and I love it.
- Riley- We've met quite a few Vizsla Rileys, and have heard about others. It's cute and playful and works for a boy or girl!
- Molly- Molly seems to be a common and universally loved dog name. My grandfather's lab was named Molly, and I will forever love her- and this name.
- Penny- Another common, cute, playful girl's name that seems particularly well-suited for a Vizsla!
- Whiskey or Rye- A Facebook fan posted that he has a Whiskey and a "Ry" (short for Myriah, sounds like Rye)- I love the originality, the fact that these names suit their color, and the boozey reference ;-)
- Arrow- From another Facebook fan- OK, maybe it's not so common or "trending", but I listed it because I love how unique this name is, and how it evokes thoughts of speed- perfect for a Vizsla!
- Chase - Another speedy name!
- Ollie- Spunky and cute but still a little traditional- fits the Vizsla well.
- Sadie - Another cute girl's name.
- Ellie- We have met a few Ellies and Allies and it suits their happy energetic personalities.
More great names...
Some more great names we've heard or thought of:
Girls: Ginger, Leia, Annie, Maddie, Gracie, Mavie, Lucy, Sophie.
Boys: Max, Augie, Alfie, Thurman, Tanner, Roscoe, Jefferson, Stryker, Bolt, Fig.
I've often thought, if we ever get a little girl Vizsla, I want to name her Leisl. There, I'm copyrighting it :-) I love the ring- Leisl the Vizsla. And, yes, ok, I was a fan of the Sound of Music growing up, of course, and I just *might* have run around singing "I am sixteen, going on seventeen..." :-)
If- or should I say when- we get another boy Vizsla, I have a few ideas that reference Vermont... because I love Vermont and it feels like home. Barnet and Cabot are two that I've thought about...
And these are some of my favorite non-Vizsla names:
- Tator - fit him perfectly; he was a stout tan-colored Frenchie with tons of spunk!
- Nacho- another name that would fit a Frenchie or bulldog... I picture someone adorably chunky ;-)
- Stewie- again, I think this name suits a little guy!
Have more name ideas, or did I miss a popular name? List in comments below!
And lastly, a few naming tips:
- Try not to pick a name that sounds like a command. We had a cat I named Noel when I was growing up- a Christmas kitty- who never learned the meaning of the word "no" because we called her Noey. She used to bite everyone who tried to pet her, including me- hard- and hide under my bed. Despite this, I thought I was a cat person and I still loved her- she was my first pet, and she definitely was cute as a kitten... she just got a little testy with age ;-)
- Pick a name that's not too long- you are going to be saying it a lot!
- Probably not a good idea to call your dog what Steve Martin's character did in The Jerk - even though my husband jokes about it ;-)