Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Patient Vizsla


Patient? A Vizsla? The high-energy dog that's always ready to get out for a run, a chase, a hunt? Captain has actually always been relatively good at waiting to go out (you know, within reason)- but over the past two months, his level of patience has grown. He carefully watches us with his baby sister, waiting for his turn. Yes, of course he still pushes himself in when he feels he's waited too long, but he has done a really good job I think!



Luckily, I get just as antsy as he does if I don't get out for some exercise. So we bound out for a run whenever we can- which is not as often (or as long) as it used to be, but it is still very much appreciated. (And don't worry, Captain always goes out for multiple walks every day, and gets his cuddles. But there's been a bit less running recently- he's been going to work with my husband while I take care of the baby, so it's less Mommy time -and corresponding, less running- for Captain these days.)

Captain, as always, loves chasing the squirrels in one of the parks we run through:



While Captain is patient, it's just plain natural for these dogs to need to get out, need attention. He still has some pushy moments- those times when I'm talking to our baby in a high voice, encouraging her on her play mat, congratulating coos and cheering on kicks, he often comes running- sometimes to see what all the fuss is about, but sometimes to insert himself between me and baby, which is pretty funny given that he tends to end up on top of me since there's not much space between us! (Typical Vizsla!)

Luckily, we're learning to balance Captain's needs with ours and baby's. It's a juggle, but it's all oh-so-worth-it..... I love a run out in the fresh air with Captain, but sometimes a cuddle in bed with both our nuggets is even better ;-)

5 comments:

  1. You are a great example of a family that is dedicated to both the human and the canine. THANK YOU for your loving posts. Thank you for adding smiles to my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Keri- Many congratulations! Love the pics of Captain with his new sister, and glad the adjustment is going well. Quick question: I remember reading a post a while back about a trainer that you hired. If you thought the person/company was effective with Captain, would you mind sharing his/her name? We have a couple things we want to work on with Scout, our 18-month-old Vizsla. (I was in touch with you about vet recs last summer after my husband and I moved from Boston to Palo Alto). Thanks! :) Anne annehodgsonevans@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! Thanks! We did SF puppy prep for classes, and one time we met w a trainer bc my husband had a connection... I can't remember his name, but I think I did a post about it so maybe try using the search box on this blog for trainer or training... Best of luck w your V!

      Delete
  3. Hi there! I like very much your blog, and as many things we like, is because it suits us so well :-) - We have a lovely Vizsla girl and we expect our first baby to come in July. So pretty much the same situation, only the opposite sex.

    I have to say there is still somethings to master about living with a dog, for me at least - my house and especially my couch, where our Dina likes to cuddle is literally full of hair and dust. I clean it, of course, but maybe just not thoroughly enough. I use blankets because I can easily was and replace them often, Could you please advice, what is your solution to that? I feel overwhelmed by all this hair, dust..and again hair.

    Many thanks!
    Alina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Captain sheds a bit, sometimes a lot but most of the time it's pretty manageable. We brush him outside regularly, which may help (do you have a brush? The the kind for short-haired dogs). And I vacuum and dust twice a week. Especially with a little one I like to keep on too of that- as much as possible anyway! A strong vacuum, so good brushing, and yes using blankets- combo of those will hopefully help!

      Delete