Do you ever feel like you have your own language or terminology when it comes to your dog? Somehow, inexplicably, it started the minute we got Captain. I've mentioned this before, but for some reason, my husband and I started referring to each other as "Mommy" and "Daddy" around Captain. There was no helping it; right from the start, it was "Captain, where's Daddy?" or "Go get Mommy." There was no discussion. No thought. We were insta-parents. And from there, a whole slew of Vizsla/Captain/dog terms grew. Vizslology, if you will. (That's supposed to be "Vizsla Terminology" smooshed together) ;-)
Here's our version the Vizsla Dictionary...
THE VIZSLA DICTIONARY
- Bird (ˈbərd): Object of the Vizsla's desire. (Quickly accompanied by): POINT! (see also SQUIRREL!)
- Crazy puppy run (krā-zē ˈpə-pē rən): An incredibly hyper, non-stop, full-on sprint, typically done in consecutive circles for at least a few minutes, and sometimes around furniture (particularly when said puppy is actually a puppy) or trees. The crazy puppy run starts and ends with a wild-eyed look, splayed front paws, and bum in the air. Sometimes also simply referred to as "the crazies." Example: The Crazy Puppy run video.
- Cuddle bug (ˈkə-dəl ˈbəg): The propensity of the Vizsla to always want to be next to or directly on top of his/her humans, preferably under a blanket. This sometimes may lead to the variation known as blanket hog. Example:
|What? This comforter wasn't bought specifically for me?|
- Frog dog (frôg dôg): The flexible position in which the Vizsla's back legs are layed out behind him, like so: (see also yoga dog)
- The (60lb) Lap Dog (ˈlap dôg): The climbing into the lap of the human by the Vizsla, despite not being lap-sized. Examples:
- The Lean (ˈlēn): Action by which the Vizsla leans his/her side or rear end up against the leg of the nearest or friendliest human, often in greeting, usually to get a good booty scratching.
- Noodge (nooj) or PushyPushy (ˈpu̇-shēˈpu̇-shē): Aka, "being a noodge." Not to be confused with "the nudge" (see below); the characteristic in which the Vizsla is acting a bit spoiled and demanding his/her way, in an "in your face," "give me a treat/run/play/cuddle now" way. Not as obnoxious as it sounds, given the Vizsla's incredible good looks (see really,really,really ridiculously good looking).
- The Nudge (ˈnəj): The Vizsla's persistent push with the nose under the human's arm, conducted to get human's attention- often for affection, or play, and sometimes accompanied by a little whine.
- Parkoclock (ˈpärkō-ˈkläk): The period of the day, usually early evening, when it's time go out and play at the dog park. Most typically, this is at least an hour before human is actually done with work. Often accompanied by the Vizsla Stare Down and Vizsla Mind Tricks.
- Really,really,really,ridiculously good looking (ˈrē-(ə-)lēˈrē-(ə-)lēˈrē-(ə-)lērə-ˈdi-kyə-ləslē ˈgu̇d ˈlu̇k'ng) The phrase to describe incredible good-looks, popularized by Derek Zoolander. The only way to describe a Vizsla. Case in point:
|Captain does his "Blue Steel"|
Ok, so we have a lot of these examples:
- Slinky dog (ˈsliŋ-kē dôg): The "slinking along" low-to-the ground, head down stance taken by the Vizsla, often when feeling guilty (such as after counter-surfing and stealing an entire tray of cupcakes) or doing something he/she doesn't want to do (such as getting into the bath).
- Smothermother (ˈsmə-thərmə-thər): Excessive cuddles, hugs, and kisses to the Vizsla "baby", conducted by the female parent of the house.
- SQUIRREL!!!! (ˈskwə-rəl): Where?! ;-)
- Velcrodog (ˈvel-(ˌ)krōdôg): The tendency of the Vizsla to ALWAYS be stuck at his/her human's side/foot/leg. This includes when said human does everything from going to the fridge, takes out the trash, or yes, even goes to the bathroom.
- Vizsla Mind Tricks (ˈvēzsch-lə ˈtrix): The inexplicable ability of the Vizsla to get whatever he/she wants, simply by staring at his/her owner (using the Vizsla Stare Down). Examples:
- Vizsla Stare Down (ˈvēzsch-lə ˈster doun): The intense, uninterrupted gaze of the Vizsla directly at his/her human, conducted in order to get what he/she wants. May be administered from multiple angles in order to catch human's attention. Example:
- Wiggle butt (ˈwi-gəl ˈbət): A vigorous shaking of the entire rear end of the Vizsla, waves of wiggles, from tail to mid-region, usually performed upon greeting. Example: The Wiggle Butt Video.
- Yoga dog (ˈyō-gə dôg): Stretching position, also known as 'downward dog' in yoga, in which rear end is high in the air, and front paws are stretched long in front. Alterations may include complete face-down stretches, such as:
In addition to this Vizslology (I'm going with it), there are also of course typical Vizsla traits and behaviors: pointing, stalking, leaping... you know, the Vizsla Things ;-)
These are very smart dogs, so of course they need their own dictionary ;-). Captain likes to stay current on his reading as well:
What are your favorite terms and phrases you use just for your dog?